Saturday 24 March 2018

Roydon/Nazeing Circular Walk 24th March 2018

GPX File Here
Viewranger File Here

On Saturday the 24th March 2018 I drove up to Matthews Plants in Roydon Hamlet on Tylers Road CM19 5LJ for some plant shopping. I decided I could fit in a walk in the area. So with permission from the owner of Matthews Plants, I parked my car there and set off down the lane.

I then turned right onto Tylers Lane.
I walk along a busy and fast road, having to jump up onto the verge a few times.


I reach the junction of Reeves lane, I continue past then taking a footpath on my right a short way after.

I take the path that forms part of The Three Forests Way and Stort Valley Way.


As is numerous in the area I pass a plant nursery.


I walk along the path through fields before, getting a vista from the top of the hill down to the Hoddesdon area. Sure the view would look better in the sun.



I leave the fields out onto Low Hill Road where I find the first of many fly tips in the area. Shame people feel the need to ruin our lovely lanes!

Just a few hundred metres and I take a path on my left and back into fields.

Now finally after much field walking I'm heading downhill and down to the Stort Navigation.

I now follow the Tow Path, always a delight to walk beside our canals and their beautiful boats.

The River Stort is a river in Essex and Hertfordshire. It is 24 miles (38 km) long and flows from just south of the village of Langley to the River Lea at Hoddesdon.

The Stort rises north of Langley according to OS Explorer map 194 (GR 425358). From Langley, the Stort flows in a generally southerly direction through the villages of Clavering and Manuden and the market town of Bishop's Stortford.
It then flows past Sawbridgeworth, before it changes direction and flows west past Harlow and Roydon. It finally empties into the Lea at Feildes Weir, Hoddesdon. This 14-mile (22-km) long section was canalised in the 18th century as the Stort Navigation.






Canal boat complete with floating garden in tow


Now I reach Feildes Weir where The Stort Navigation meets The River Lea.



I follow the river path and alongside is a large lake (Glen Faba).

Glen Faba is a mature gravel pit of 67 acres in size. The lake is a maze of gravel bars, islands, points and bays with silty depths of 25 to over 30ft in many places, hence location is the key to catching and currently there are no designated swims.
Once located the fish are not always difficult to catch. However this lake has never been officially stocked and the exceptionally low stock levels in such a naturally rich waterhas led to high growth rates. 
Glen Faba holds a small number of Carp, however these are predominantly in the 30 - 40lb+ size range.

I cross the River Lea by bridge and follow the path on the other bank.



Tufted Ducks
I follow the River Lee for some way and after crossing the road at Dobbs Weir I now walk alongside Nazeing Mead.

hree large settlement lagoons for the Lee Flood Relief system totalling 125 acres plus Brackens Pool, a small enclosed gravel pit of 2.5 acres. Both the main lagoons and Brackens Pool are typical gravel pits containing numerous underwater features.
The main lagoons hold specimen Carp to over 46lbs, specimen Bream over 17lbs, plus large Tench, Chub, Eels and double figure Pike. Brackens Pool is well stocked with Carp ranging from low doubles to 38lbs. A good percentage of the specimens are over 20lb.








I  now walk alongside The Lea Navigation.




On the far bank I can see camping pods and a sign for Almost Wild Campsite.

Embrace Mother Nature in this rugged, natural setting nestled among mature woodland and a grassy glade surrounded by water on three sides. With limited facilities and none of the trappings of more commercial campsites, you’ll be able camp out under the stars, hang a hammock from the trees and enjoy an open fire in a fire pit.
What we mean by almost wild camping...
  • Solar powered, motion sensor lights around the toilets limit light pollution
  • Composting toilets
  • Cold water tap


A Cormorant drying its wings

A Cormorant drying its wings


I reach Carthagena Lock, I have walked up a little too far and have to track back down to find my path across.

I follow a path alongside two lakes full of carp anglers.


I cross a footbridge and pass sailing club on my left and see a few yachts out on the water.
Now leaving the water behind, I get to the not so pleasant part of the walk, you really can't tell what an area is like from the map until you walk it!

I leave the grotty industrial like path behind and join a road and turn right and walk a way.

Here at J&W Fencing in Nazeing I take a path to the left of it and across a muddy ad churned up field.


I walk across Shottentons Farm and it isn't too pleasant a walk at all at the present.


I walk pass more nurseries and the path isn't well marked at all, at times you wonder just where the path is.


The path now crossed a building site where new homes are being built.

I have lost where the path went and improvise with a bit of road walking.I then find a path and head back towards Roydon Hamlet.


After walking across a few farm fields, I head up one last climb back to Tylers Lane.


I am now on Tylers Lane and walk pass The Green Spice Indian Restuarant and back to Matthew Plants where I had parked.

I arrive back at the car after just over 8 miles walked. I throw off my boots and head into Matthews Plants for some plant shopping. A favourite nursery of mine, really low prices with great customer care!