Friday 20 March 2020

South Woodham Ferrers and Crouch Vale Brewery Walk 20th March 2020

I am writing this two weeks later after the walk, been ill in bed with what I suspect was the Corona Virus so apologies foe the delay.

On Friday the 20th March 2020, I decided to get a walk in before a lockdown came into force, so glad I did,this may be the last for a while.
I drove to South Woodham Ferrers in Essex and parked up in Saltcoats Park off the Ferrers Road where parking is free.
I set off from the park heading for the River Crouch.



The railway station opened in 1889 to serve South Woodham Ferrers and the surrounding area. The town of South Woodham Ferrers continued to develop until it was formally recognised as a separate community to Woodham Ferrers, located one mile north.

In 1981 Queen Elizabeth II opened the town square, which is named after her.

Many street names in the southwestern part of the town are taken from the works of J. R. R. Tolkien, such as Gandalf's Ride, Gimli Watch, Rivendell Vale, Celeborn Street, Hobbiton Hill and Arwen Grove.



I walk though the park until I reach a path that leads to the River.


Boat needing tender loving care.

Salt marsh

I reach the River Crouch at Clements Green Creek. It is a proper windy day today and the wind is rushing about my head.

The Country Park is recognised as a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) because of its importance for overwintering dark bellied Brent geese. It also provides a home for many species of waders and ducks in the autumn and winter, and a number of birds breed here in the Spring - including sedge warblers, cuckoos and sky larks - making it the perfect spot for year-round birdwatching. It also supports a fantastic population of water voles, an endangered species that can sometimes be seen in the borrow dykes and ditches that run throughout the country park.


I hop over a stile and into Little Hayes Marsh still following the River Crouch.




A Great Crested Grebe.

After much walking I reach Stow Creek where I see yachts leaving West Wick Marina in North Fambridge.


West Wick Marina 
I am now heading inland away from the Crouch along Stow Creek.








Greylag Geese


Greylag Geese in flight




Shelduck in flight




The first lambs Ive seen this year, a nice symbol of Spring.

I reach the railway line which I now cross over into Little Hayes Farm.




I walk through what looks like a dairy farm and out onto Little Hayes Chase.

At the end of the road I cross Lower Burnham Road and into a footpath opposite. 


On the path opposite I see a male Pheasant running away from me along the path before darting into the hedgerow.

Male Pheasant.

I miss the path back a little way and I had to walk back a little way and instead of walking all the way back, I jump a small ditch and carefully climb over a barbed wire fence and I'm back on track.


In the distance I can see the church of St Mary and St Micheal in Stow Maries.

Originally built in flint and rubble in the 15th century. In the 16th century, Tudor brick was used to partly rebuild the nave and add height. The chancel was raised on brick stepped gables and, unusually, is higher than the nave. A lighted cross is mounted on the 17th century weather boarded steeple. This was presented to the church in 1925 by Claude Ridley of No. 37 Squadron of the Royal Flying Corps, based at Stow Maries, formed to defend England against German Zeppelin attacks in the First World War. Several pilots are buried in the churchyard.

I cross a stile over into Poorhouse Wood.



Violas blooming alongside the wood path.

There is clearly a large badger sett here,sadly I saw no badgers! I've never seen a live badger and would love to come back in the evening to watch.

The path itself is a dis-used railway track.
Wild Primroses


The railway would have crossed over these bridges, but I turn right and out onto Woodham Road.

I follow the road for a bit until I reach a bend in the road and a footpath follows on in front of me.

To my right is a vineyard.

Vineyard

I walk through a copse and see my first bluebells of the year.


Now as I walk towards Bushy Hill, I encounter the first real mud of the day.

I climb up Bushy Hill.

Bushy Hill is part of South Woodham Ferrers town council area, and lies to the north of the town. The west face of Bushy Hill was covered in broad leafed woodland and known locally as "Little Wood". "Big Wood", officially named Hawe's Wood and also known as "Bluebell Wood", is closer to Edwin's Hall. Later the hill became known locally as "Radar Hill" due to having been visually dominated by a radar testing site. This site was operated by a number of the former Marconi companies including Alenia Marconi Systems, and more recently used by BAE Systems to develop various radar technologies, some of which are for military use. The site remains in use, but the large dish which earned the hill its nickname has been removed.

Online mapping services such as Google Maps clearly show the site in use, including a helipad. The permissive footpath around the site passes the entrance sign warning of "helicopters landing, danger of radiation" and other such dangers associated with a working radar testing site. The inner workings of the site are secured with a gatehouse, anti-climb fencing and a number of CCTV cameras.

Bushy Hill was also known locally, before Marconi came to use it, as "Landslip Hill", referring to the south face of the hill which has slid away leaving a bare escarpment, clearly visible from the town.

I walk out of the path crossing Burham Road and through the housing estate to reach Crouch Valley Brewery. To be fair, I wish Id cut the walk short and drove to the brewery. This isn't pleasant.


After much much boring walk past houses I reach Crouch Valley Brewery on an industrial estate.

I am far too early for the taproom sadly.


So into the small shop and Museum, not much to see.I have walked miles of houses for this, wasn't overly impressed.

Founded in 1981, Crouch Vale Brewery has survived (and even prospered) to be today, the longest-established brewery in the diverse, eclectic and damn fine county of Essex. We are immensely passionate about what we do and massively proud of our hand-crafted, multiple award-winning beers. The company is (and has always has been) independent and privately, family owned.

Still I bought a couple of bottles to enjoy at home and left for more town walking back to Saltcoats Park.


I walk through the empty Town centre.

I have known a few bands that have played here at Oaklands, maybe I'll visit one day!

I walk into compass park and over to the car .


A 8.5 mile walk, if you fancy doing this I suggest cut it short and drive to the brewery you'll be doing yourself a favour! South Woodham Ferrers isnt the nicest of towns to just have a wander about.