Monday 11 April 2016

Hanningfield Reservoir to Ramsden Heath (With a stop off in Stock) 11th April 2016


I left home and drove to Hanningfield Reservoir and parked in the car park by the Essex Wildlife Trust Visitor Centre.  
The reservoir is one of the premier fisheries in the UK providing some of the best reservoir trout fishing by either bank or boat.
 The reservoir is the 11th largest reservoir in England with an area of 3.5 square kilometres (880 acres). The reservoir was formed by W. & C. French in 1957 at a cost of about £6m, by flooding an area of South Hanningfield covering the ancient hamlet of Peasdown.
 Giffords Farm and Fremnells Manor were also flooded. Contrary to popular belief, no buildings survive under the water, however an earth removal machine was left 'in situ' and concreted over prior to filling. The reservoir was built in an area formerly known as Sandon Valley, and large parts of the reservoir and surrounding countryside have been developed as a nature reserve.



The Wind in the Willows Sculpture & Brass Rubbing Trail features stunning, large-scale wooden sculptures of characters from Kenneth Grahame’s much-loved book The Wind in the Willows, first published in 1908. All the favourite characters are there: Mole, Ratty, Toad and Badger – as well as two dastardly Weasels.
The trail follows paths through the stunning woodland of the Trust nature reserve, with fantastic views of the reservoir (which is owned by Essex & Suffolk Water). People can purchase trail guides in the Trust’s visitor centre and then embark in Mole’s footsteps, into the ‘Wild Wood’, to seek out the sculptures. Beside each sculpture is a brass rubbing, from which people can fill in images of the characters on spaces in the guide, by using the crayons provided.
The Trail opened to the public on Saturday 28 March, before an official opening event later this year. It is the latest is a series of The Wind in the Willows-themed activities and events at Essex Wildlife Trust Hanningfield Reservoir. Last year, The Wind in the Willows Wildlife Garden, which features Ratty’s Boat and Toad’s Caravan, opened.



I popped into two hides but didnt see much other than Pochards,Tufted duck,Mallards,Greylag Geese and Canadian Geese.






I continue along the path passing the delightful Wind In The Willows characters. I loved that book when I was a child.









I head of over to the Fishing Lodge and the boats.


The wood is awash with Bluebells, nothing screams spring to me like a Bluebell wood,Daffodils and playful lambs. (No lambs today though).


Carrion Crow

Greylag Goose

I reach the fishing lodge. Here there was a tackle shop and restaurant. Had a quick peek at the menu, was tempted with a jacket potato but at £5 I gave it a miss, bit hard up this month!


I head back up through the woods.






I stop at a bench to have a cup of tea and an apple and take in the sights and listen to the beautiful bird song filling the wood. I heard Great Tits,Blue tits,Robins and blackbirds amongst others.



I reach the car park and I head out onto Hawkswood Road outside and head up the road past the reservoir.

As I pass I see Mute swan and a Black swan that appeared to have paired off. I saw mallards,tufted duck ,pollards and a crested Grebe.


I pass Crowsheath Fishery. The lakes are set in 110 acres of picturesque farmland, woodland and rolling countryside with an abundance of wildlife. There are three lakes at Crowsheath, the main carp and pike lake stocking carp up to 42lbs with 7 known 30′s and plenty of 20′s. With loads of pike up to lower mid twenties for a great bit of winter sport. There is a catfish lake holding the UK’s largest mandarin catfish which has tipped the scales at 72lbs previously with other catfish up to 92 pound. There is also a coarse and carp lake and is perfect for a spot of float fishing or carpers who just want a bend in their rod.
After a bit of road walking I turn right onto a footpath and through a wooded area.


Now a reach a serious piece of mud, that even my mate Dave Harris would be proud of. A sign warns of Deep Sludge and a risk of sinking!


I carefully negotiate a path around and I am on my way out into farmland.

I cross Downham Road and take a footpath opposite and across more farmland and into another wood. I emerge out onto a road and pass the sign for Ramsden Heath. I take another footpath a short way down that goes straight through someones driveway.

I emerge onto a road and take a footpath across more farmland pass a small lake before rejoining Hawkswood Road and walking back pass the reservoir and to my car.


I drive up to Stock for a quick look about before driving home. Thought I remember there being more here. But I have confused that with Ingatestone that I will pass through later on my way home.





The origins of the village are uncertain and are subject to debate. Archaeological finds suggest that during the Iron Age period there was a settlement on the site. The Domesday Book of 1086 does not mention Stock. Formerly half of the village was in the parish of Buttsbury and the parish had within its boundaries a hamlet which was a detached part of Orsett. Both of these anomalies have now been resolved.



A small walk of 6 miles but lovely to get out in this fine Spring weather.