Friday 29 July 2016

WFP Meet: Tryfan 27th July 2016

Tryfan has been on my to do list for years. At last I was to be able to climb up her. I was on holiday in Towyn near Rhyl with the family in the last week of July 2016. I asked my good friend Max from the FaceBook page Walking For Pleasure (WFP) if he would be happy to show me up as he has been up so many times before. Max happily set up a meet on WFP page and it was on for Wednesday the 27th.
I woke up early that morning and could hear the wind and rain hitting the caravan,typical! Still after just under an hours drive I park up in the Tryfan car park. I'm the first here and early so I grab a bit more sleep hoping the weather would improve before the off at 9am.
Gradually one by one the 13 of us arrived, the weather was still poor. But hey I'm here and I'm going up.


View across the road to Llyn Ogwen

Tryfan in the clouds

Tryfan is a mountain in the Ogwen Valley, Snowdonia, Wales. It forms part of the Glyderau group, and is one of the most famous and recognisable peaks in Britain, having a classic pointed shape with rugged crags. At 917.5 m (3,010 ft) above sea level it is the fifteenth highest mountain in Wales.

We set off up the steep East side of the mountain to the summit and back down the South side.







The climb was steep but I thoroughly enjoyed the climb up, although the views up were pretty much non-existent  due to persistent clag.



The mist and rain was so much that I had to remove my glasses so I could see where I was going.

Now the fun started the scramble up, just love a bit of scrambling.


We now reach the summit. Ahead I see the famous Adam and Eve, a pair of rocks some three metres high and separated by 1.2 metres. The rocks are visible from the Ogwen valley, from where they resemble two human figures.
It is traditional for those climbing Tryfan to tackle the spectacular and risky "step" between the two rocks; in doing so one is said to gain the "Freedom of Tryfan". The exposure on one side is quite great and those without a head for heights are advised not to attempt the step. Adam is not easily scaled being high and smooth. There is a foothold on Eve which allows the climber to scramble to the top. Two prominent pillar-like boulders are visible on the skyline midway through the approach to the summit via the South ridge. As these can be mistaken for Adam and Eve from a distance, they have become known as Cain and Abel, continuing the biblical theme.
 In my eagerness to get up close to the rocks I slipped on the wet rocks and grazed and bruised my shin. Typical after I had made the scramble up safely.


I attempted to get up on Adam and Eve but was beaten as the rocks were just too wet and probably best I left the jump for another climb where I hope to come up the North face to climb up on the cannon too.

We stopped for lunch in the drizzle and I sat back and grinned to myself, at last I made it up Tryfan.


Amanda and Tony did 22 press ups on the summit to honor those who served and to raise awareness for veteran suicide prevention through education and empowerment.

Now we begin our descent down the South side and next to a huge drop, you just can't help but look down into the drop as you make your way along the slippery rocks next to it.  Awesome  !


Don't Look down Max said. How can you not ?






Bit by bit we make our way down the rocks, picking out a path here and there.




Max points out a rock that resembles a large Gravestone, couldn't think of a better place to be laid to rest.



At last a gap in the cloud and I can just make out Llyn Bochlwyd. This is sometimes known as lake Australia, since its shape when seen from above resembles that of Australia. From here there are good views of the Glyderau and Y Garn.


This remote lake lies near to Llyn Ogwen in the Glyderau mountain range and stands at an altitude of 555 metres (1821 feet). Llyn Bochlwyd has a surface area of 10.4 acres.




The Cannon ( begging to be climbed another day)















We make it down and I am now passing by a gorgeous waterfall making its way down the mountain before splitting into three streams.









Max is now trying to find a way across the three stream for the group. I'm beginning to think this wasn't part of his plan. But we make it across only to end up walking through some boggy ground before dropping back down into the car park. We all change our boots for more comfy shoes before driving up the road for the debrief.

We arrive at the pub 'Bryn Trych Inn'. in Capel Curig.

Siobhan buys me a pint of Welsh Pride as I had stupidly left my wallet in the caravan, Thank you Siobhan ,I owe you a drink on our next walk !


As we sit in the garden the sun at last appears and I sit looking across to Moel Siabod and thinking hmm now there's another adventure in the waiting"
A cracking walk with friends of old and new friends alike. Thanks everyone for a great walk and hope to see you all again soon. 2.71 miles of walking with 2059 feet of altitude gained just shows how steep this was.


Max Thanks again for arranging this, one top fella !